Tuesday 17 July 2012

Hexamine rush.....

Hexamine.

Does sound a lot like something that any sensible person would 'just say no' to doesn't it....?

Or perhaps a product of a quiet corner of the sort of kitchen/laboratory favoured by zealots......?

Fear not, 'tis neither.

It is a chemical composite cooking block, used by NATO troops to heat water for a brew or cook up field rations on a special little stove.

I have just acquired a few boxes of surplus Hexamine to experiment with. I want to see if it will light smokeless coal quickly and thoroughly from cold, in the way that garden variety firelighters struggle with, lacking the essential, shall we say, OOOMPH......

Don't worry, I'm going to start small amd build it up until it works.

I don't subscribe to the 'more is better' school of thought, unless, of course, I am seasoning roast lamb.

But that is a story for another post......

I will let you know how I get on.

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment