Tuesday 30 March 2010

News from The Woodpile....

We have been very lucky and have sorted out our kindling requirements for a good chunk of next winter!! (a couple of months worth at least, I should think).

I've just finished sawing it all up and am cream-crackered.

The source was a bungalow in the village that is being modernised and turned into a chalet-style house. Hence a new roof. And lots of redundant trusses, beams, joists and lathes that were going begging before being skipped........

I had been giving this pile some very covetous looks as I pedalled past on the way to work..........

Needless to say, it was Jackie who worked her magic after I had told her about it.She chatted up the owner and obtained permission to remove as much as we wanted.

Four Vitara-fulls of later, I was hard at it in the woodpile........

There were loads and loads of 1 inch x 1/2 inch roofing lathes, which I have cut down into kindling.

Doesn't take long to type it, but this took all of Sunday and a good part of this afternoon and evening.

I've also cut up the off-cuts of bigger stuff into brick sized pieces ready for the stove.

However, there are some really big and useful looking lengths which I am leaving for now. As this sort of stuff costs real money to buy, it may be utilised in improving the shelter I have improvised over the wood, or donated to our chum Paul who is fitting out his WB sail-away on the mooring.

Also, I'll need another new blade on my bow saw before starting on it.....

And let the blister heal and arm-ache recover........

(Incidentally, I am no fan of chain-saws: Nasty, heathen devices that can cause the most shocking injuries. I'll stick to the old bow saw, grit my teeth and just take it nice and steady, thanks. Besides, think of all those nasty calories being burned..)

I worked yesterday, making tea and checking paperwork, mainly. I don't think this was anything to do with the problems I had on Friday, it was just my turn to do it.

Today was a day off which was badly needed. I slept until 11.00am which is very unusual for me these days. Must have needed it after the extra hours last week and a bout of sleeplessness on Sunday night.....

Anyway, when I had finally dragged myself from my pit, was properly up and about and showing signs of sentience, I persuaded Jackie to accompany me to Emmaus.

We went via the recycling centre where we dropped off a week's worth and stole away with a pyrex bowl, a 9mm/10mm Gordon Tools ring spanner AND a very convincing looking life-ring. (Total cost: £1.00). The life-ring is red and white with "HMS LAUREL" written on it. More about this later when I can post some pictures. (Jackie will have to decrypt the instructions for the new camera and then translate them into Bloke Basic before I will be able to take any.....)

I also bought an engraving of a painting by Tatton Winter of Salisbury Cathedral. More on this later too, as Jackie wants to watch a DVD and I'm hogging the Ship's Computer.

To be continu...........................xcaswccdjc..............

No comments:

Post a Comment