Tuesday 14 September 2010

Sunset.

Finished work at 5.30 and drove through the rainstorm murk and rush hour traffic of Cambridge to the supermarket (there to purchase the three B's: Beer, Bread, and Butter....Well, Jackie is in London tonight......)

Arrived back at the Parish in the rain. First torrential, then pouring, then, miraculously, clearing...

When I got back on board, the sun came out, and, westering as it was in pre-sunset-sideways-gold, it lit up the willows in a way that would have even Richard Dawkins doubting his atheism.

The wind combed them.

The sun lit them.

Never were trees more beautiful.

I was put in mind of the following by W.B Yeats:

Had I the Heavens embroidered cloths,

Enwrought with Gold and Silver light,

The blue and the dim and the dark cloths

of night and light and the half light

I would spread these cloths before your feet.

But I, being poor, have only dreams.

My dreams I spread before your feet.

Tread softly, then,

For you tread upon my dreams.


(W.B. Yeats: He wishes for the cloths of Heaven.)

So very lovely........

No comments:

Post a Comment