Monday 26 February 2018

Emma Chambers

It is with the greatest sadness that I write this.

Emma Chambers, film and television actress, has died at the age of 53.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43183354

I was at The Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art from 1983 to 1986. Emma was there at the same time, though we were in different classes.

I remember her as one of the good people: kind, warm-hearted, never nasty, and so, so funny, both on and off stage.

Webber was a hard, nasty, bitchy school. Such attributes were in short supply. So Emma stood out, not only because of this, but also because, even then, it was clear she was possessed of a truly stellar talent.

As my own career popped and banged before fizzling out like some defective firework, it gave me true joy to see her doing so well, first, as Charity Pecksniff in the TV adaptation of 'Martin Chuzzlewit', then later, running rings around both Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts in 'Notting Hill'.

She will be best remembered for her superb comedy timing and wonderful characterisation in the role of Alice Tinker in 'The Vicar of Dibley'. I remember watching the episode of Alice's wedding. My mum had tears of laughter rolling down her cheeks as Alice made her way down the aisle accompanied by Telly-tubby 'bridesmaids'.

Although I knew her, I can make no claim to having been a friend of Emma's, either at college, or afterwards.

But I feel truly stricken that she has died so young, and at the height of her powers.

She was one of the best of us, and definitely one of the nicest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EViB5epHMn8

God bless you, sweet one, and may you rest in peace.

X


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. may Emma Chambers rest in peace.

    https://scienceleisure.blogspot.com/2018/05/the-selling-point-of-atm-and-ethernet.html

    ReplyDelete